It's very important to strategize prior to taking up the test. These are a few tips that will help you prepare for the exam. Given the significance of the TOEFL exam for students wishing to study abroad, it's understandable that it can be intimidating. Preparing properly and familiarising yourself with the procedure can help alleviate any nerves, as it will with almost any task.
What are the top TOEFL preparation tips?
To avoid any unpleasant surprises on the day of the test, it's critical to become as familiar as possible with the 4 components of the criteria.
- Familiarise yourself with the TOEFL format.
- Review the strengths and minimise the weaknesses.
- Instead of reading each word and sentence, practise scanning the paragraph rapidly to gain a basic sense of the primary idea.
- Continuously practise improving the reading rate, fluency, and speed.
- Practice developing deductions and conclusions based on what is implied throughout the passage.
- Using the charts and outlines, create an oral or written summary of the passage.
- Keep an eye on the speed of answering the paper. Spend roughly 20 minutes on a passage so one spends a little more than one minute on each question and still have time to revise answers at the end.
- Regularly read university textbooks or other texts written in an academic style that cover a variety of topic areas (e.g., sciences, social sciences, arts, business, etc.).
TOEFL Reading Practice Test
TOEFL Reading Preparation Tips
- Devote some time each day to actively reading texts that are similar to those you will encounter on the day of the test.
- assess your ability to comprehend non-technical English texts, identify key concepts, and integrate a diverse vocabulary.
TOEFL Listening Practice Test
Their goal is to learn to take notes in real-time so that they don't miss anything the speaker says. Being able to comfortably take notes and record all of the crucial material in real-time will not only benefit the TOEFL test but also for future studies.
Furthermore, the Independent speaking questions test allows them to communicate thoughts and opinions in English. This implies that, in addition to correctly expressing oneself, they will need to demonstrate the ability to read and listen in the Speaking segment.
TOEFL Listening Preparation Tips
- To help you remember details, you can write down notes while you’re listening; especially since you will only hear the recordings once.
- write down the most crucial and main concepts, as well as as much supporting detail as you can. Make a note of any changes in topic or digressions.
- simply listen to English radio while cleaning your room, read English news, listen to English music, and watch English movies.
TOEFL Writing Practice Test
TOEFL Writing Preparation Tips
- Choose a topic first, then set a timer for 20 or 25 minutes. Write for around 15-20 minutes, then take a 5-minute break to review and make errors.
- Ensure to widen your vocabulary & have a specific structure by breaking it down into paragraphs.
TOEFL Speaking Practice Test
Taking practice tests during the TOEFL preparation period is the best way to know if you're getting close to the goal. Practice exams will also help students gain a sense of the test setting, question kinds, and time limits you'll experience on test day. The more broadly students read, the more topics and words they will encounter. The more closely they read, the better their reading comprehension skills will get. Read widely and carefully to broaden the knowledge of subjects in English.
TOEFL Speaking Preparation Tips
- Improving your listening skills will help you pronounce words more clearly and talk more fluently.
- After listening to a tape or watching a video, discuss the narrative in English in front of a mirror or with a friend. If you are having difficulty with a specific term, practise it until you get it right.
TOEFL Exam Preparation Books
- "The Official Guide to the TOEFL iBT Test, 6th Edition"
- Barron's "TOEFL iBT, 17th Edition"
- Barron's "Essential Words for the TOEFL, 7th Edition"
- "Official TOEFL iBT Tests Volume 1, 4th Edition"
- TOEFL Preparation Book 2023
FAQs About TOEFL Exam Preparation
There is no such thing as a TOEFL failure or success. Every university has its own TOEFL score cut-off, and students must achieve scores that are equal to or higher than the set grade. Candidates should be aware that higher TOEFL scores will automatically increase their chances of admission to the university as well as their chances of receiving any university scholarships. A low TOEFL score would necessitate the student to retake the exam in order to improve his/her performance.
It is very personal whether a test is difficult or easy. However, rest assured that the TOEFL test was designed to assess your command of the English language, not to make you miserable. The tests are designed with the student in mind, and a good preparation plan will yield positive results.
We always recommend that candidates get their study materials from the official ETS website for authentic and up-to-date information, and they can also solve practice papers from our website here: TOEFL Sample Papers.
It is difficult to say whether a test is difficult or easy. However, rest assured that the TOEFL test was designed to assess your command of the English language, not to make you miserable. The tests, TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE Academic, were designed with the student in mind, and a good preparation plan would yield positive results.
The TOEFL and IELTS are both English language exams for students who want to study abroad. However, each of these tests has advantages and disadvantages. Both tests are accepted for college admissions; however, students should consult their university's admissions policies before applying for the exam.
It is always advised to use official preparation materials and resources. TOEFL Planner, TOEFL Talks, TOEFL Go! app, and other free resources are available from ETS. Consider these official websites as opposed to random online websites.