If you are thinking about studying in the USA, this is a blog you need to read. You might have heard that the USA is an expensive country to live in and that it is not easy to fund your studies. However, this is not right altogether. The country offers its students the option to work while they study.
You can choose on-campus and off-campus jobs in the USA. The hourly wages can vary depending on the job. The average hourly wage for part-time jobs for international students in the USA ranges from USD 9 to USD 17. You can read the blog further if you need more information about the jobs you can do.
What Are the Rules & Regulations for Part-time Jobs in the USA?
When you decide to work part-time in the USA, there are a few rules and regulations you need to be aware of. It is essential that you follow the rules of your student visa. These rules are explained below.
- Limit the number of working hours: All international students can work up to 20 hours per week during their semester. This ensures that you balance your classes, studies and work effectively.
- On-campus jobs: If students have to work off-campus, they should complete one year of study at any US university.
Support from DSO: You should get in touch with your Designated School Official (DSO) once you have all the documents ready. Depending on your qualifications, the DSO may even suggest jobs or recommend you.
Types of Part-time Jobs in the USA
Part-time jobs in the USA can be classified into two major categories; on-campus and off-campus jobs. A detailed explanation is given below.
- On-campus jobs: The on-campus jobs, as the name suggests, will be those that are available inside the campus. Every international student needs to work on campus for the first year of their study. It is only then they can do any off-campus job. A few on-campus jobs include Computer Lab Technician, University Tour Guide, Librarian, University Bookstore Assistant etc.
Off-campus jobs: These jobs can be done outside the campus. However, you need to have a one-year on-campus job experience to work off-campus. Tourist Guide, Store Executive, Translator etc., are some of the popular off-campus jobs.
Top 10 Part-time Jobs in the USA
It will be helpful for you to know the top 10 part-time jobs to take in the USA. As such, we have compiled a list of the top jobs below for your reference.
- Teaching Assistant: If you are interested in teaching, this is a job you can do. You will have fewer formal responsibilities, and it is a popular on-campus job that several students take.
- Peer Tutor: Most universities will have a resource centre where you can apply for the post of peer tutor. This job position is more common in sports colleges where a peer tutor is appointed to help students who participate in various athletic programs study.
- Campus Tech Support: Almost all university campuses will require tech support for libraries, computer labs etc. If you are tech-savvy and are interested in this field, you can definitely work in this position and earn work experience.
- University Bookstore Assistant: This is one of the best jobs you can take up. All major universities will have a bookstore that supplies reference books, fictional books etc. You can work inside the campus and get discounts on books.
- Babysitter: If you love babies and taking care of them, this is a job you can opt for. These jobs are available even inside the campus. There will be university staff members in search of babysitters, and you may easily get a job.
- Library Monitor: This is another popular job among international students. Your responsibilities will usually be limited to maintaining a quiet library atmosphere. This gives you plenty of time to prepare for your exams and to read books if you love reading.
- Tour Guide: Most of the top American universities have large campuses, and thus campus tours are common. You can take up this job after completing your first year. You will directly report to the Admissions Department, and you can take the job if you communicate well.
- Academic Department Assistant: If you love clerical jobs and working with papers, you can take this position. It also helps you to network with other staff and professors.
- Production Assistant: If you study at a university that gives importance to extracurricular activities, there will most likely be a Production Assistant position available. You can take this job if you love backstage activities for dances, plays, concerts etc.
- Research Study Assistant: This is a useful job for those planning to take a PhD later. Here, you will be assisting professors and conducting research on particular topics.
Eligibility Criteria for Part-time Jobs in the USA for International Students
There are no set eligibility criteria to work part-time in the USA for international students. If you are an F-1 visa holder, you will be permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during your semester. You can work more during your semester breaks. After you complete your first year in the university, you can also do off-campus jobs.
Salary for Part-time Jobs in the USA for International Students:
There are several part-time jobs that can be chosen by international students in the USA. These jobs get paid on an hourly basis, and the average salary ranges from USD 9 to USD 17. The table below will help you understand better.
Average Hourly Salary (in USD)
Catering Assistant/Food Runner
Research Study Assistant
How to Find Part-time Jobs in the USA?
After you learn about the benefits of working part-time and the average hourly salaries of some popular part-time jobs, it is time to know how to get part-time jobs in the USA. One of the most popular ways is to browse the internet and apply for jobs that seem to suit you. The other ways are given below.
- You can get in touch with the career cell in your university to learn about job openings.
- All universities will have an online employment site where you can apply for part-time jobs.
- You can be active in the online student community on Facebook and other platforms. This networking will help you learn about job vacancies.
- The other way is to look for job openings online on Indeed, FlexJobs, Upwork, CoolWorks, Snagajob, Craigslist, CollegeGrad etc.
Part-time job opportunities are beneficial for international students not only because they help finance studies but also because they help you earn job experience, which you can include in your resume at a later stage. If you wish to learn more about part-time jobs for international students in the USA, you can contact AECC's expert counsellors. You can also read our blogs to know about the cost of studying in the USA, visa requirements etc.
AECC has been assisting students in studying at their preferred destination for several years now. Right from the course and university selection to visa assistance, all our services are offered for free. Feel free to contact us!
How much can international students earn part-time in the USA?
International students can earn from USD 9 to USD 17 when they work part-time in the USA.
Which part-time job is best for students in the USA?
Library Assistant, Food Runner/Catering Assistant, Teaching Assistant, Campus Ambassador, Receptionist etc., are some of the best jobs for international students in the USA.
Is it easy to get a part-time job in the USA?
It is not difficult to get a part-time job in the USA if you have a good academic record and are ready to work.