Study in Canada Without IELTS as International Students
Studying in Canada is a dream for all students. But, scoring well in IELTS may make it difficult since students must score at least 8.0 IELTS to get into a good university. Along with this, they must score 7.5 and above in all the divisions. But the good news is students don't need to give IELTS to study in Canada anymore. Recently, the Canadian embassy decided to let students study in Canada without IELTS. This has helped more and more students study in Canada.
Students can choose three paths without IELTS:
- They can look for universities that accept students without IELTS.
- They can complete an English language course. They can then enrol in universities that accept students with certification.
- They can appear in other English proficiency courses like TOEFL, CAEL, and Can TEST.
Students must choose their preferred path according to their comfort and skills.
Table of Contents
- What is the IELTS Test?
- Is it Possible to Study in Canada Without IELTS?
- Alternative English Proficiency Test to Study in Canada
- Which Universities do not Require IELTS in Canada?
- How to Get a Student Visa in Canada Without IELTS 2023?
- Study in Canada Without IELTS – Fully Funded Canadian Scholarships
- How to Apply for Admission in Canada Without IELTS?
- Documents Required for Canada Study Permit Without IELTS
- How can I Immigrate to Canada Without IELTS?
- Work in Canada Without IELTS
- How AECC Global Bangladesh Helps Students To Study In Canada?
What is the IELTS Test?
The IELTS test is also called the International English Language Testing System. It is a globally recognized English language test that helps assess students' language skills. It is mainly given by international students to prove their English language skills. The IELTS test is divided into four sections: writing, reading, speaking and listening. Students need to finish this test in 3 hours. After this, they will obtain their overall score. This score is necessary to enrol in universities and obtain a student visa. However, students can now get admitted to universities without taking an IELTS exam. To know more about this, keep reading.
Is it Possible to Study in Canada Without IELTS?
Yes! Students can study in Canada without giving an IELTS exam. This is since Canadian universities have adopted various factors to assess students' English language. Thus, students have many options regarding English language proficiency requirements. In some universities, students from selected countries don't need to appear for English tests. While some universities also provide LOR options instead of English test scores. Students can also take additional English proficiency examinations such as the TOEFL, CAEL, PTE, and others. They must submit the scores of the test taken to get enrolled.
Alternative English Proficiency Test to Study in Canada
As mentioned earlier, students have various options for English proficiency tests other than IELTS. They must appear for these tests and provide their scores to enrol. This helps universities understand the level of a student's English skills. It also helps prove that the student can speak and understand English.
International students must pass English tests when moving to English-speaking countries like Canada. Some tests that they can appear for are:
- CAEL Assessment (Canadian assessment of English language)
- TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language)
- Duolingo English Test
- PTE (Pearson English Language Test)
- Can Test (Canadian Test of English for scholars and Trainees)
- Cambridge Assessment English (C1 Advanced/C2 Proficiency)
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
- Academic English Program for University and College Entry (AEPUCE)
Which Universities do not Require IELTS in Canada?
Even though IELTS test scores are required during admission to Canadian universities, various universities provide students with many other alternatives. These are high-ranking universities and provide high-quality education and accommodation facilities.
Some of these universities are given below, along with their accepted English proficiency exams:
Canadian Universities without IELTS
Alternative English Proficiency Exam
The University of Saskatchewan
Duolingo the English Test
University of Winnipeg
Duolingo English Test
Cambridge Assessment English: C1 Advanced
Cambridge Assessment English: C2 Proficiency
Canadian Academic English Language Assessment
Pearson Test of English (Academic)
Academic English Program for University and College Entrance
English Language Program at The University of Winnipeg
English Language Program - Part-time Evening Program at The University of Winnipeg
Intensive English Language Program (IELP)
CAE (A1 Advanced)
CPE (C2 Proficiency)
University of Regina
the University of Regina ESL
Proof that their previous education was in English
Furnish the official transcripts of the last three years of high school, college, or university.
English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP)
Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador
Intensive English Program at the university's St. John's or Grenfell campuses
Completed an e-proctored English test or an interview
Duolingo English Test (DET)
Cambridge English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (Can TEST)
Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)
Duolingo English Test (DET)
Cambridge English Exams
Complete an intensive English language program from an institute like English Language Institute.
How to Get a Student Visa in Canada Without IELTS?
Students who wish to study in Canadian universities must apply for Student Visa. However, students must provide English proficiency scores to get a visa. They can provide IELTS scores, but they also have other alternatives. The alternative test scores that students can provide are Duolingo English Test, TOEFL iBT, and CAEL. As for Canadian immigration, students can submit scores of IELTS General or CELPIP.
Know about: Canada Student Visa
Study in Canada Without IELTS – Fully Funded Canadian Scholarships
Nowadays, students can study in Canadian universities without IELTS along with scholarships. This helps students by covering their education and accommodation costs. Some scholarships also provide up to 100% coverage of tuition fees and living costs.
These scholarships are provided by universities and the government as well. Some universities that offer scholarships without IELTS are:
- University of Saskatchewan (Faculty wise vary)
- Brock of University
- Carleton University
- University of Winnipeg
- University of Alberta (Faculty wise vary)
- Queens University, Canada
- University of Regina
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Concordia University
- Cambrian University
- Algoma University
- Brandon University
- University of Guelph (Faculty wise vary)
- Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador
- University of Colorado
- Northwood University
How to Apply for Admission in Canada Without IELTS?
Students may need to provide an IELTS score at the time of admission in Canada. However, there are many alternative ways in which students can provide their English proficiency. Following are all how students can enrol in Canadian universities without giving an IELTS exam:
- Students can provide an English proficiency certificate supplied by the student's college. It must state that the student's previous education was in English.
- Students can provide proof that they are from an English-speaking country.
- Students can register in English language courses that are provided by Canadian universities.
- Students can submit scores on other English proficiency tests like TOEFL, PTE, CAEL, etc.
Need Help? Get FREE Assistance with AECC Now!
Documents Required for Canada Study Permit Without IELTS
Students might need to provide several documents at the time of application to Canadian universities. These documents may differ for different courses and universities. But, there are some standard documents required for all courses. Thus, students must remember to keep these documents ready.
The required documents are given below:
- Transcripts or Marksheet of previous education
- GMAT or GRE Scores for MBA and Masters's programs
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Letters of Recommendation (LOR)
- Acceptable English Proficiency Test Scores
- When applying for a French-taught program, students must submit French Proficiency Tests Like TCF, TEF, DELF, and DALF.
- Proof of sufficient funds to study in Canada.
- An updated CV (if required)
- ECA if the student has never studied in Canada before (Educational Credential Assessment)
How can I Immigrate to Canada Without IELTS?
Students can immigrate to Canada Without IELTS by giving other English proficiency tests. There are various immigration programs in which students can register if they wish to immigrate Without IELTS scores. These programs can help them get permanent resident status as well.
Listed below are the programs that students can register in:
- Canadian Experience Class.
- Federal Skilled Worker Program.
- Federal Skilled Trade.
- Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
- Atlantic Immigration Pilot
Work in Canada Without IELTS
Students can also work in Canada Without giving an IELTS exam. They can do so if they study at a university that waives the requirement of the IELTS exam. The students must remember to apply for a Work permit within 180 days after education completion. They can also work in Canada Without IELTS if they are sponsored by a family or work company. Further, the work experience may help them immigrate to Canada Without IELTS.
How AECC Bangladesh Helps Students To Study In Canada?
AECC can help students study in Canada with the help of Overseas Education Consultants in Bangladesh. They will help students:
- Choose a suitable University
- Complete the University application process
- Get a student visa
- Get health care insurance in Canada
- Explore and find the right scholarships
- Get an education loan and pay fees
- Provide accommodation support
- Provide exclusive pre-departure sessions