The IELTS is a popular English proficiency testing exam that is an abbreviation of the International English Language Testing System. The exam is specifically designed and developed to help students from non-English speaking countries find it easier to migrate, study, and work in native English-speaking countries like the US, the UK, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia. Though several colleges and universities across the UK require students to have an IELTS score to seek admission to their courses, there are alternative education institutes across the country to which Bangladeshi and other international students from other non-English speaking countries can seek admission.
Is it possible to study in UK without IELTS?
If you are a Bangladeshi student wishing to study in the UK, you can get a UK Student Visa without IELTS. First, you need to show the document you have received from the University to the immigration officials that indicates you are eligible for studying in the UK without IELTS.
Some of the requirements to study in the UK without IELTS are:
- Have an undergraduate degree in English
- You need to have a transcript of a short-term course in English or prove that you have scored at least 70% in English in classes XI and XII.
- Before commencing your programme in the UK, you can enrol in a pre-sessional English course offered by the University.
- You can consider taking an online interview arranged by a UK-based University.
- You can prove that the medium of instruction in your school was English.
List of Universities in UK without IELTS
- University of Bristol
- University of Essex
- The University of Warwick
- Robert Gordon University
University of Bristol:
This UK-based University was founded in 1595 and is among those educational institutes that provide admission through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admission Services). Bangladeshi students who wish to study in the UK without IELTS can seek admission here in different streams. Some of the popular courses offered here are – BSc in Accounting and Finance, BSc in Biochemistry, BA in Anthropology, etc. Also, for seeking admission to a popular course at the University of Bristol, Bangladeshi students can pursue any English language certification in Bangladesh or take up a pre-sessional language course approved by the University.University of Essex:
This University has students from more than 130 nations. The University of Essex is quite popular among students because of its easy and hassle-free application process. They also allow international students to apply for their courses without IELTS. For Bangladeshi students, seeking admission to a course at the University of Essex will require them to take a pre-sessional English pathway. Some of the courses offered are – BA in Psychology, BSc in Cognitive Science, BSc in Psychology with a minor in Economics, etc.The University of Warwick:
Consistently rated as one of the best UK universities for Science, Social Sciences, and Arts, the University of Warwick came into existence in 1965. Today, the University offers a wide array of programmes, including Health, Engineering, Literary Studies, Economics, Chemistry, etc. Bangladeshi students can enrol in the University of Warwick programmes by selecting pre-sessional English courses if they do not wish to opt for IELTS.Robert Gordon University:
This University was founded in 1992 and is renowned for providing courses in different disciplines like Engineering, Architecture, and Technology. One of the prominent universities in the UK that permits students to enrol in the courses without taking IELTS, Robert Gordon University, offers an 8-week pre-sessional English program to improve their command of the language.
How to Study in UK without IELTS?
Bangladeshi students aspiring to study in the UK can do so without appearing for the IELTS exam. There are a few workarounds for students to go along with their Visa application.
Given below are some of the options to study in the UK without IELTS:
- Previous Education in English – A few UK universities accept Bangladeshi students without an IELTS score. However, to seek admission to these universities, students must complete their schooling at an English medium school. As a result, Bangladeshi students need to produce an MoI (Medium of Instruction) certificate that reflects the same.
- English Marks in Class XII – Some universities in the UK also admit Bangladeshi students to their courses based on the English marks they scored in Class XII. However, to be considered via this route, students need to have scored at least 70% or more marks if they have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 or at least 80% if they have a minimum IELTS score of 5.5.
- A Pre-Sessional English Course - Some universities across the UK offer Bangladeshi students pre-sessional English courses if they plan to study in the UK without opting for the IELTS exam. Students can opt for pre-sessional English courses after getting selected for their regular diploma or degree programme.
- Online Interview – Some UK universities ask Bangladeshi students to appear for an online interview to test their English proficiency.
Admission in UK without IELTS
Bangladeshi students can seek admission in the UK without IELTS. In the first step, the student has to shortlist the course and University based on his/her preference and academic profile. In the next step, the student needs to find out the exact deadlines of the colleges they are planning to apply. Start with this process with lots of time in hand. You can use the extra time for fulfilling other requirements of the college like letters of recommendation, SOP, accommodation, funding/scholarship options, test results, etc. Students can submit scores for the ACT or SAT exams or Duolingo test that can be taken from the comfort of their homes. In the next step, all the required documents and the test scores are compiled. The application process can be started directly or through UCAS. AECC Bangladesh consultants will guide you through all these processes. You can click here to get help for seeking admission in the UK without IELTS.
Study in UK without IELTS: Eligibility Requirements
- Have attended a pre-sessional English course offered by your University before you start your degree programme in the UK
- Have an undergraduate degree in English
- Have you faced your University's online interview in the UK
- The medium of instruction in your school should be English
- Have a score of 70% or above in classes XI and XII
Can I Get UK Student Visa Without IELTS?
Bangladeshi students can get a UK Student Visa without IELTS. However, to be eligible for the consideration for a UK Student Visa, you should submit an attested document provided to you by the University to the immigration authorities that indicates you can obtain a UK Student Visa without IELTS. However, you need to make sure certain requirements are met for the smooth processing of your visa, like an acceptance letter from the UK university, a valid proof of having attended SELT, and the document issued to you by the University indicating you can obtain the UK Student Visa without IELTS.
How to get UK Student Visa without IELTS?
You can get a UK Student Visa without IELTS if you are a Bangladeshi student. However, for this, you need a Tier 4 UK Student Visa. Before you start with the various steps to get the visa,
you need to fulfil these criteria:
- You must provide your academic documents.
- If asked, you need to submit an ATAS certificate.
- You must have a valid Bangladesh Passport.
- You must have a CAS certificate.
- If you have any work experience, you can produce either the current working letter or the offer letter.
- You must produce an Affidavit of Sponsorship from your parents if the funds are in their checking account.
- You need to produce a medical certificate from a clinic that has the approval of UKVI (the United Kingdom Visa and Immigration)
Step 1: Once you have fulfilled the above criteria, the consultant at AECC Bangladesh will make sure to apply for the UK Student Visa online. Alternatively, the signed and filled application form and all the relevant papers will be submitted physically to Bangladesh's nearest UK immigration centre. The visa application cost is £348 (39,100 BDT). An Immigration Health Surcharge will have to be paid if you intend to study in the UK for more than six months. This amount will vary depending on the actual stay duration.
Step 2: During the time of online registration, you need to provide the CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number provided to you by the university when you were offered a seat on the programme.
Step 3: Our consultant will then assist you in preparing the necessary documents required for processing your UK Student Visa without IELTS.
Step 4: Once all the required documents are provided to the authorities; students need to wait for up to 3 weeks for the UK Student Visa to arrive.
UK Study Visa without IELTS Requirements
- Acceptance letter from a UK university
- An attested document by your University indicates you can apply for UK Study Visa without IELTS scores.
- Students can also apply for the SELT (Secure English Language Test) mandated by UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration), as it will prove English proficiency without IELTS.
Scholarship without IELTS in UK
- International Merit Scholarship
- Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship
- Undergraduate Merit Award
- The Developing Countries Scholarship (UG)
- September 2022 Undergraduate Scholarship
- Be Exceptional Scholarships
- Lancaster Global Scholarship
- DMU International Scholarship
- Undergraduate Territory Award May 2022
Can I Go UK without IELTS?
Yes, you can go to the UK for higher studies without IELTS. Many UK universities accept Bangladeshi students with English language proficiency scores.
Can I work in UK without IELTS?
Yes, you can work in the UK without IELTS. However, you need to apply for a UK Work Visa without IELTS. You need to provide your master's or bachelor's level academic records that state you have scored above 70% in the college or school to apply for the same. Alternatively, Bangladeshi students can apply for UK work visas without IELTS by submitting IELTS UKVI with four easier bands to score.