Post Study Work Visa in UK

8 minutes reading time (1667 words)

The UK Post Study Work visa is also called the Graduate Route. International students can use this Visa as a temporary visa to reside, study, and work in different capacities. It is a dream for many international students to explore the UK, providing many job opportunities after pursuing their studies. To realize this dream, students need to have a post-study work visa in the UK. Working in the UK after pursuing a course of their interest offers students lots of international exposure to help them grow in their careers. The post-study work visa gives the right to international students to stay in the UK for job experience after finishing their university courses. 

Post Study Work Visa in UK Latest News

  • The UK Home Office has recently introduced Post Study Work Visa to benefit international students. With this Visa, students can continue to stay in the UK and work for up to 2 years. If you're a PhD student, you'll be granted 3 years.
  • Many international students feel that the easiest route is to settle in the UK through overseas studies. Studying in the UK not only gives helps students to enhance their studies but also helps them emigrate to the UK easily.
  • In its attempt to sustain the market for international students, the UK government is showering them with several employment privileges. It is not surprising to see nearly 65% of students expressing interest in studying in the UK.
  • The UK Home Office has recently announced that even students who are taking courses remotely are eligible to apply for the post-study work visa. This concession has been given to the students because of the current pandemic.
  • As per the new research, nearly 28.8 billion pounds have been contributed to the UK's economy by international students. And a majority of international students studying in the UK are from India and China. 

Post Study Work Visa in UK Eligibility

International students need to meet certain prerequisites of the UK post-study work visa if they want to stay in the country for 2 more years after completing their course.

The prerequisites are as follows:

  • International students in the UK are eligible to stay on if they've earned a degree from an institution recognized by the UK government. International students can be diploma holders, undergraduates, postgraduates or doctorate holders. To put it in simple words, students who have a bachelor's degree, Master's degree, or a PhD can apply for this Visa.
  • The application for the post-study work visa should be submitted for processing within 12 months of completing the course.
  • International students should strive to find a job suitable to them so that they can work towards gaining a general work visa after their 1st year of graduation.
  • You need to provide proof of your financial independence and the source of your finances to the government of the UK.
  • If the student cannot complete the English language degree, then the student has to take up IELTS and score a minimum of 6.5 in each of the exam components.

When Can I Apply for Post Study Work Visa in UK?

You can apply for a post-study work visa in the UK after your college or university has updated the Home Office about your final academic result. Students need to remember that the results of the bachelor's degrees are usually out around August, and the results of Master's degrees are generally out between November and December. Also, you need to be prepared with the application for the post-study work visa while you're still holding a Tier 4 (Student visa) Visa. This will help the UK Council to decide on the issuance of the Visa for you promptly. International students need to remember that they need to have a job offer before applying for a visa.

Here are some documents you need to have while completing the application for the post-study work visa in the UK:

  • Proof of English language proficiency
  • The reference number on your certificate of sponsorship
  • Occupation code of your job
  • Details of your job and annual salary
  • Copy of your passport and other proofs indicating your identity and nationality
  • Your employer's name and license number

How to Apply for Post Study Work Visa in UK?

Some of the best universities and colleges are in the UK. These educational institutes have the best infrastructure, curriculum, finance options, and placement opportunities that enable them to attract thousands of international students each year. With the UK government's opening of the Post Study Work Visa option, international students are more interested in pursuing their studies in the UK now than ever before. The post-study work visa allows students to stay in the UK, search for a job, and even work for a stipulated period.

Given below are some steps international students can follow to apply for a post-study work visa in the UK:

Step 1: You can choose the online mode to apply for the post-study work visa.

Step 2: If you have a partner and child accompanying you to the UK, they must apply for the Visa separately.

Step 3: There are some documents you need to submit for the application. You need to compile all these documents in the correct order and submit them for further processing.

Some of the documents that are commonly asked are as follows:

  • Valid travel documents that indicate your identity and nationality, including your valid passport
  • Your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number when you've applied for the student visa
  • Your BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) – You will be provided with this when you've applied for the student visa or Tier 4 visa
  • You may be prompted to do or provide the following things, depending on your circumstances:
  • A letter from the sponsor is stating that your application has been approved. This assumes that the sponsor covered your living costs and fees last year.
  • Proof of your relationship with your partner and the child. This is applicable if the partner and the child are applying for a Visa with you.
  • Provide relevant documents that will prove your identity. This step is needed to complete the application process. You can visit the app "UK Immigration: ID Check" and scan your BRP (Biometric Residence Permit). An account for yourself also needs to be created with UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration). If you already have an account, then you need to log in.
  • If you cannot use the app to scan your BRP, take your fingerprints and photographs from a UKVCAS (UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services) service point.
  • You'll be guided on what to do next after proving your identity.
  • After providing the required documents and proving your identity, your application is deemed complete. It may take up to 8 weeks for the decision to arrive. Once the authority makes the decision, you'll hear from them through an e-mail, and it will also contain the next steps you need to take.
  • If the application invoked a positive response, you have received the right to live and work in the UK.
  • You can and cannot do many things after receiving your post-study work visa. The complete list of these things will be made available after receiving the Visa.

What To Do After The Post-Study Work Visa in UK Ends?

As per the new laws and policies laid down by the UK government, international students are allowed to stay in the UK and continue searching for work relating to their field of study for up to 2 years. However, this applies to only those international students with a Post study Visa or a UK work permit. During this period, students can do any work of interest, provided it is unrelated to their field of study.

After 2 years, when the UK Post-study Visa expires, students who intend to stay in the UK for a longer duration need to apply for a general work visa or a skilled worker visa. This is also often referred to as the Tier-2 Visa. However, to obtain this Visa, the condition is that the student must be earning at least £30,000 per year. 

Do I Need A Sponsor For The UK Post-Study Work Visa?

There is no need to have a sponsor for the post-study work visa in the UK. However, if the student wishes to stay in the UK after completing the post-study work visa, then the student must apply for a skilled worker visa. There is no shortage of employers in the UK who would love to sponsor graduates that bring specialist skills. The skilled worker visa is generally awarded to individuals who have garnered certain points based on language, salary, and skill requirements. Also, to apply for this visa, the individual needs a job offer from a licensed sponsor. The list of registered sponsors can be found on the UK government's official website. 

If you intend to apply for a post-study work visa UK, then AECC can help you. Our friendly and experienced education experts will throw more light on different procedures and steps that need to be taken to apply for this Visa and ensure you get one. Our consistent and effective guidance has helped hundreds of students get post-study work visas UK. Talk to one of our advisors to figure out how the services of AECC can be aligned to meet your ambitions and interests. 

AECC is one of the world's leading educational consultancies with versatile expert professionals who are ready to help you with any queries you may have. Contact us so we can be of assistance to you in your journey of fulfilling your dream.

Related Posts


Let's get social.

Copyright © 2024 aecc. Useful Links | Glossary | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
Enquire NowAECC Search