Post Study Work Rights in Australia for International Students

10 minutes reading time (1920 words)

Do you intend to stay in Australia after finishing your studies? Learn about the post-study work rights in Australia for International students, what it comprises, who is eligible, and how to apply for one. Every student who plans to study outside of Bangladesh does so with the intention of returning to the nation. Either permanently or for a few more years to obtain valuable professional experience. 

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world."

Harriet Tubman

Following the announcement of recent amendments by the Australian Government, Australia now provides overseas students with up to four years of Post-Study Work (PSW) privileges following the completion of their individual bachelor's degrees. Postgraduate students pursuing a Master's degree (Coursework or Research) are entitled to up to five years of Post-Study Work Rights.

The post-study work visa enables overseas students to stay, work, or search for work in Australia after graduating. The stay periods range from 18 months to 6 years, depending on their qualification and place of study.

What is this New Post Study Work Visa 485 in Australia?

  • It's a fantastic opportunity to return to Australia and work for a longer period of time!
  • The Australian Government's new post-study work stream visa allows you to study, live, and work in selected regional parts of the nation for up to five years.
  • You may now enjoy prolonged post-study employment privileges in regional Australia and realise your dream.

What is the Post Study Work Visa Australia Eligibility?

  • To be eligible, you must have completed an Australian bachelor's degree, master's by coursework degree, master's by research degree, or doctorate degree within the six months before your application for the visa. Students who have completed courses that do not lead to a bachelor's degree are ineligible to apply for a post-study work visa.
  • You must fulfil the Australian study requirement, which states that your course of study must have been completed in Australia (in English) for at least two academic years (92 weeks) and be listed on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
  • You must fulfil English language criteria (a minimum of 6 in each component of the IELTS exam or an equal score in another English language test), as well as health, character, and security requirements. You will also need to show proof that you have health insurance that will cover you for the term of your post-study work visa.

Different 3 Types of Post Study Work Visa in Australia

There are three types of post-study work visa options that may be available to you.

  1. Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) (Graduate Work Stream) – The most frequent post-study work visa is the Post-Study Work Stream. This visa is intended for overseas students who have just graduated from an Australian educational institution with appropriate qualifications, regardless of their subject of study. They must apply for this visa within 6 months after completing their study, and the stay length ranges from 2 to 4 years based on the qualification.
  2. Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) (Post Study Work Stream) – Graduate Work Stream is designed for overseas students who have graduated with skills and credentials for jobs on the skilled occupation list. The skills and credentials are generally closely tied to an occupation regarded as being in demand in the Australian labour market in the medium to long term. The term of residence is up to 18 months, and students must apply for this visa within 6 months of finishing their education.
  3. Skilled Recognised Graduate Visa (Subclass 476) - is for overseas students who have earned engineering degrees from a specific educational institution within the previous two years. The stay might last up to 18 months.

What is the Duration for Australia Post Study Work Visa?

The Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) issued by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection allows overseas students to stay in Australia for up to 18 months after finishing their studies to travel, acquire job experience, or enhance their English language abilities.

  • Students who graduate with a bachelor's or master's degree through coursework will be entitled to a two-year post-study work visa.
  • Students who earn a master's degree by research will be eligible for a three-year post-study work visa.
  • Students who earn a doctorate degree will be eligible for a four-year post-study employment visa.

Region of Study


Bachelor Degree; Bachelor Degree (with Honours); Masters by Coursework

Masters by Research Degree

Doctoral Degree

Major Cities


2 years

3 Years 

4 Years

Cities and major regional centres

Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Canberra Newcastle/Lake Macquarie
Wollongong/Illawarra, Geelong, Hobart

2 years

 3 Years 4 Years 

Regional centres and other regional areas

All other locations 

4 Years

 5 Years

6 Years

Australia Post Study Work Visa Requirements

The Australian Government's Department of Home Affairs has established some qualifying conditions for students to meet for each post-study employment visa in Australia. The visa requirements differ depending on how long you intend to remain in Australia.

A full overview of the visa criteria for each post-study work visa category is provided below.

Post Study Work Visa Australia – Skilled-Recognised Graduate Visa

  • The students must be under the age of 31.
  • They must also have earned an engineering degree from a recognised educational institution within the last two years.
  • They must not have had a Skilled-Recognised Graduate Visa (subclass 476) or a Temporary Graduate Visa in the past (subclass 485).
  • They must also fulfil the necessary health and character standards.
  • Unless you hold a passport from the United Kingdom, the United States, the Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, or Canada, you must also be fluent in English to be eligible for this post-study work visa in Australia.

Post Study Work Visa Australia – Temporary Graduate Visa

  • Students must be under the age of 50.
  • They must be a recent graduate with credentials and abilities relevant to the skilled vocations included on the list.
  • They must also fulfil the Australian study criteria, which include having received at least one certificate or degree from a CRICOS-registered program in the previous 6 months. Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
  • They must have had an Australian student visa and studied in English.
  • To demonstrate their English proficiency, they must additionally have a valid IELTS, TOEFL iBT, PTE Academic, OET, or Cambridge C1 Advanced Test result.
  • They must also fulfil the necessary health and character standards.
  • They cannot have previously had a Subclass 476 or a Subclass 485 visa as their principal visa.
  • If the students have previously had a visa revoked or refused, their applications will be rejected.

Temporary Graduate Visa – Post-Study Work Stream

  • Students must be under the age of 50.
  • They must hold a graduate degree in a CRICOS-registered course.
  • Students must have a current student visa or have held a student visa within the last 6 months.
  • They cannot have previously had a Subclass 476 or Subclass 485 visa.
  • Completing the Australian study requirement is also mandatory.
  • They must have any of the following degrees –
  • Bachelor degree
  • Bachelor (honours) degree
  • Masters by coursework degree
  • Masters (extended degree)
  • Masters by research degree
  • Doctoral degree
  • This visa is not available to students with a diploma or a trade certification.
  • They must be fluent in English and demonstrate confirmation of competence with one of the following tests: IELTS, TOEFL iBT, PTE Academic, Cambridge C1 Advanced Test, or OET.
  • They must also fulfil the necessary health and character standards.

Key Points to Remember Australia Post Study Work Visa Requirements

Name of Visa

Key Restriction

Maximum Staying

Age Requirement

Dependents Allowed

Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) - Post Study Work Stream

Bachelor's degree or above, a registered course for at least two academic years but no less than sixteen calendar months

2 to 4 years

Under 50 years of age


Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) - Graduate Workstream

Qualifications and skills for employment on the skilled occupation list

Up to 18 months

Under 50 years of age


Skilled Recognised Graduate Visa (Subclass 476)

Engineering degrees from a certain educational institution in the previous two years

Up to 18 months

Under 31 years of age


How to Apply for Australian Post-study Work Visas?

Students who want to apply for any of the post-study work visas in Australia can do so either online using their ImmiAccount or on paper. The paper form application is often allowed in circumstances where students' existing visas include the 'No further stay' condition 8503 or 8534. Applicants must first visit the official website of the Department of Home Affairs, Government of Australia, in order to apply online. It is also recommended that you apply for this visa within 6 months of your course's official completion date.

  • Here is a step-by-step application guide to apply online for your assistance –

Step 1: Before beginning the application, gather all supporting papers.

Step 2: Visit ImmiAccount's official website.

Step 3: For new users, click 'Create ImmiAccount' or login to ImmiAccount (if you already have it).

Step 4: Complete the visa application form and include all supporting documentation.

Step 5: If you want to bring your relatives, provide their details as well.

Step 6: Pay the application fee (if applicable) online using a credit card, PayPal, UnionPay, or BPAY.

Who can apply for this Visa?

If you are an international student who wants to work in Australia after finishing your studies for a longer period of time (up to five years), this is the program for you. The good news is that this visa grants you full study and employment privileges, as well as the flexibility to travel to and from Australia for the duration of its validity.

Make an appointment for a free counselling session at your local AECC location now! You may also visit the official website for further information.

AECC has partnered with Australia's top universities and will be there for you every step of the way while you pursue your education in Australia! We have helped thousands of students achieve their goals and continue their studies in Australia, and we will help you as well!

FAQs about Post Study Work Visa

Related Posts


Let's get social.

Copyright © 2024 aecc. Useful Links | Glossary | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
Speak to our Consultant