Study in Canada After 12th for International Students
Study in Canada after 12th from Bangladesh is a dream for many students. But it is not always possible if one doesn't know about studying in Canada. Thus, this article will help students understand all about getting admission and studying in Canada after the 12th for international students.
One can choose from various Diplomas, Certificate, and UG courses in Canada. A student can get admitted to any Canadian institute by simply taking an entrance exam (SAT, GRE, GMAT) and an English proficiency exam (IELTS, TOEFL, PTE).
Education System in Canada
- The Canadian education system is divided into four stages: preschool, primary education, secondary education, and post-secondary education.
- The preschool stage is a 4–5-year program for toddlers beginning elementary school. These are either private, public, or federal schools.
- The primary stage is a compulsory program for all children aged 6-7 years. It consists of grade 1 to grade 6 and is a 6-year long program.
- The secondary stage is a 7-year program divided into 2 phases intermediate and high school. The intermediate program is two years long, while the high school program is four years long. The middle phase consists of grades 7 and 8, while the high school phase is 9 to 12. Some states in Canada also consist of an extra year after grade 12th, known as grade 12+.
- The post-secondary stage consists of all college and university courses. It is divided into four phases: Bachelor's degree, Master's Degree, and PhD. Each step is 2-6 years long, depending on the course chosen by the student. Any student can get into a college or university by giving specific entrance exams and English proficiency tests.
Courses in Canada after 12th
A student can find several good UG, Diploma, Certificate, and PG courses in Canada. Studying in Canada comes with added benefits like up to 100% scholarship, excellent accommodation facilities, earning money while studying by working part-time and internships, and much more.
Canadian institutes provide various course options for students from every stream. A student has to choose one and follow the admission criteria for the same.
Below is a list of various UG and PG courses of different streams.
- B.Sc. (Science)
- B.Sc. (IT and Software)
- Cost Accounting
- Animation and Media Courses
- Fashion Design
- Hotel Management
- Interior Design
- Environment Planning and Design
Diploma Courses in Canada after 12th
Canada is well known by students for its outstanding diploma courses. These, too, can be differentiated according to various streams.
A diploma program is a 1–2-year program and is excellent for students looking to get a job right after graduation. It is short term thus has lower fees, and is very economical. Given below is a list of some diploma courses that one can pursue in Canada after the 12th:
- Diploma in Electronic duty Technician
- Diploma in Heavy Duty Technician
- Diploma in Automotive Service Technician
- Diploma in Architectural Technology
- Diploma in Automotive Power Technician
- Diploma in Pharmacy Technician
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Diploma in Business Management
- Diploma in Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Business Administration
- Diploma in Office Administration
How much Gap is Acceptable for Studying in Canada after 12th
Like any other foreign country, Canadian universities accept students with gap years if a student provides a legitimate explanation. In general, students applying for UG Courses can have a gap year of up to 2 years, while for PG Courses gap year of up to 5 years is allowed.
A student with a more extended gap year can also get admitted to colleges if they provide a justified reason.
Some reasons that a student can provide are
- Family Emergency
- Health Problems
- Mental Breakdown due to work
- Unemployment after graduation
- Re-exam of tests due to low scores.
What are the Exams Required to Study in Canada
Students who wish to pursue higher education in Canada need to appear for entrance exams and English proficiency tests. If a student fails to do the same, they will not be able to get admitted to a Canadian university.
Some exams that a student can appear in are
- IELTS: It is an English proficiency test accepted in almost all universities in Canada and can be taken by any student globally. It is a language exam and consists of four modules – listening, reading, writing, and speaking. Most universities accept students with an IELTS score from 5.0 to 7.5, 7.0 is considered acceptable.
- TOEFL: It is also a language test consisting of four modules; Listening, reading, writing, and speaking. To get admitted to any Canadian university, the acceptable score for TOEFL is >250 (iBT > 90-100). Most colleges in Canada accept students with a minimum score of 580 (237 for computer-based TOEFL and 90 for internet-based TOEFL)
- PTE: It is also known as the Pearsons' tests of English. It consists of two categories: PTE Academic and PTE Home. This also tests a student speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills. Good marks for this exam lie anywhere between 50-and 63.
- SAT: This test is also known as Scholastic Assessment Test. It tests the written, analysis, and reading abilities of a student. It is Excellent for students who want to enrol in colleges or universities in Canada.
- LSAT: This test is known as Law School Admission test and is given by those who wish to study in Canadian law schools. It tests students reading and speaking skills.
- GMAT: This test is known as the Graduate Management Aptitude test; it is given by graduate students who wish to pursue MBA in Canada. It tests a student's ability to speak English, Maths, and reasoning. Students can also pursue MBA without giving the GMAT from colleges like Rotman School of Management, DeGroote Business School, Ivey Business School, etc.
- GRE: It is also known as Graduate Record Examinations. It is given to students who wish to pursue MA or MS in Canada. Students can also get admitted to business colleges in Canada with their GRE Scores.
- MCAT: It is also known as Medical College Admission Test and is given by students who wish to study in Canadian Medical Schools. It examines students' critical and analytic abilities, physical and biological sciences knowledge, and ability to reason verbally.
To get admission to any Canadian Institute, a student needs to appear for various entrance exams and English proficiency tests. Along with this, they must also fulfil certain other criterions like:
- Students must have acquired 70% or more marks in class 12th
- Students must know 12th-grade math
- Students must have acquired average defects on the English proficiency test
- Students must have appeared for entrance exams and acquired average passing marks.
Documents Required to Study in Canada After 12th
All students need to provide certain documents to enrol in a Canadian University or college. This is an important test, and students must provide the necessary documents.
Following are the documents that a university may ask for at the time of admission:
- 12th-grade mark sheet
- School leaving certificate
- Proof of language proficiency
- Scanned copy of passport
- SOP for Canada
- LOR (if required)
- Resume or CV (if required)
Study in Canada After 12th Fees
Students who wish to pursue higher education in Canada can choose from several courses offered by Canadian institutes. This comes along with the added benefit of scholarships. A student can apply for various scholarship programs and seek scholarships. Canadian Institutes have very high fees, and thus this step is crucial for all students.
Below is a list of some Canadian institutes and their fees:
University of Toronto
15,750 – 57,050 USD
University of British Columbia
1,300 – 52,300 USD
2,230 – 58,300 USD
University of Regina
1,715 – 20,050 USD
Memorial University of Newfoundland
2,150 – 11,460 USD
Royal Roads University
3,750 – 27,500 USD
University of Saskatchewan
4,110 – 24,000 USD
1,625 – 17,250 USD
Visa Requirements to Study in Canada After 12th
Once a student receives their acceptance letter from the university, they must apply for a student visa. Once the application process is done, students need to impress the immigrant officer during a one-on-one interview. The entire procedure can take up to seven weeks. Thus a student must apply as quickly as possible.
Some documents that a student must have to apply for Visa are:
- Acceptance letter from the university/college
- Proof of adequate funds to facilitate tuition and living expenses
- Proof of healthy mind and body in the form of a medical certificate
- No previous record of criminal activity
The student has to appear for various interviews and verifications before receiving the Visa. The most significant benefit of studying in Canada is that the student visa allows the student to study and work in Canada and North America.
Best Cities to Study in Canada After 12th
The Canadian Government gives much importance to education and healthcare; thus, one can find a college or university in almost every city in Canada. Some of the top cities in Canada where a student must consider studying are:
Still unclear about anything? Well, not to worry. Contact AECC Global and get your queries answered today! AECC Global is one of the world's leading educational consultancies with versatile expert professionals who are ready to help you with any queries you may have. Contact us so we can be of assistance to you in your journey of fulfilling your dream.